Taking care of yourself now is the key to a long, healthy life
At Annie’s Place, we help clients of all ages. One thing is certain in life, we will all age but all of us will age differently. Much of what goes into the aging process is how healthy of a lifestyle we lead. Part of our mission at Annie’s Place is to improve the lives of our clients and their families. We want to see the people we care for improve their health and live long, healthy, happy lives.
We all have an opportunity to change the mindset of people young and old and help move them into a positive mindset about building a healthy lifestyle. Healthy aging is a holistic approach to life centered around the mind, body and soul. Fulfilling these needs at a fundamental level, is the foundation for healthy aging.
The following 6 tips for healthy aging can be implemented at any age – so why not get started now?
- Be active. Maintain or start an active, healthy lifestyle. Make physical movement a part of every day. Regular exercise doesn’t have to be a strenuous hike or running a marathon – it can be as simple as walking, gardening, or taking the stairs in your building. Studies show that people who exercise, not only live longer, but live better.
- Eat well. Increase the number of fruits and vegetables while decreasing sodium and serving sizes. What we put into our bodies is so important for our health and how we feel. Take the time to understand how healthy your diet is and look into reviewing your current diet with a nutritionist so you can get guidance on making improvements that will help you in your life.
- Be aware. Understand your health status. Advocating for your health is your responsibility. While family members and caregivers should be aware of your health status, taking the lead to manage your medications, follow up with your doctor and follow your health plan is a vital component of healthy aging.
- Get enough sleep & reduce stress. The body must rest in order to rejuvenate. Developing a schedule or bedtime routine to regularly get 7-9 hours of sleep per day is critical to successful, healthy aging. It is proven that individuals who have healthy sleep habits, feel better and live longer lives. Sleep is a form of relaxation and an important element in living a healthy life is triggering the relaxation response so we can reduce stress in our lives. Aging and the changes it brings can cause stress, which may lead to anxiety and depression. A dedicated focus on the good and understanding your stress triggers are key ways to identify and mitigate stress. Find healthy ways to manage negative stress. Whether it is exercise, journaling or seeking professional counseling, it’s important to know how you can successful relieve stress.
- Build & nurture relationships. Stay connected with the people who matter and provide you with joy. It’s important to have a support system and social network. Staying socially engaged has been shown to keep the mind active. Use technology like Skype, FaceTime, or social networks to maintain communication and visits with friends and family.
- Engage your brain. It is important to continue to use your mind – whatever age you are. Research shows activities that keep the brain active may delay memory decline that leads to dementia. These activities could include reading, writing or doing crossword puzzles. Never stop seeking out new information as there is so many new things to learn that will help you improve your happiness in your life as you age.
Annie’s Place is committed to helping our clients improve their lives. We can work with you in all elements as you or your loved one age. Check out our Services page or get in touch with Annie’s Place today if you want to learn more about our range of services.